Saturday, April 25, 2009

Getting Started

For those who are just starting out, here is a list of websites and resources that helped me get going. I was pretty much on my own when it came to finding curriculum and materials. We were not in the US and I had no opportunity to go to a convention. It took me a while to sort through all the choices, but I eventually found some things worth keeping.

www.christiancottage.com (we use the Unit Studies, see my post on year one)
www.learningthings.com (a lot of choices to sift through, but many great options)
www.barkercreek.com (I like the Draw Write Now series, there are tons of things here)
www.thehomeschoolmom.com (great ideas on getting started, staying organized, and being motivated to continue on)
The Educated Child by William J Bennett (this just gives a good general guideline, your year doesn't have to look exactly like this book, use it as a reference for ideas if nothing else)

Some items and sites that I found recently that I love:

All Through the Ages: History Through Literature Guide by Christine Miller
a definite must for every home school
  • reading lists split into chronological history and geographical history from different curriculums compiled into one book, she added timelines that coincide with Bible timelines, Science History, Music History, and Fine Arts

Draw and Write Through History (series) My kids love it. Makes a nice companion set for the Draw Write Now series.

Freezer Cooking Manual from 30 Day Gourmet

Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening by Louise Riotte

Heppner's Legacy Home School Resources http://legacyhomeschool.com/

Read-n-Grow Picture Bible Thomas Nelson Publishing

I'm sure there'll be more to come. I'm planning a blog on music education that could be helpful for those who want to get more fine arts into their home school day. My sister is an endless resource when it comes to music education.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Also, please check out the links to your left and all the great stuff at The Old Schoolhouse link.