Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Admire the dust, but please don't write in it.

I'm a big believer in kids learning to do chores. From the earliest ages, my three kiddos had to learn to clean up their own toys and keep their space tidy. I'm definitely a bit of a neat freak, so there are times when I just have to convince myself to let it go and spend some good quality time with people. But, for those who are looking for ways to help keep their homes in order, start with the ones you're trying to train up. One of the best things I bought this year was a chore chart for each child. I got them at a local school supply store in our mall, but they can be purchased online for a pretty minimal fee. These are the ones I got, but there are many more like them on the market. I decided that the ones that stick to my fridge and have a dry erase surface on them work the best. I tried printing them off every week, but that got to be a real headache. If you really want to get fancy, you can create your own (or print one off of a free printables website), laminate it, and put a sheet of magnet on the back.
http://www.shopwiki.com/search/Chore+Chart
My children don't necessarily love chores, but they have gotten used to the daily helps that they need to do to keep our home running smoothly. Adding some praise music to chore time definitely makes it more fun.
They love hearing those words of thanks from me and daddy telling them that what they do to help is noticed and appreciated.

These cute flip books also made a fun addition to clean up times. I especially appreciate the Bedroom cleaning one. They are usable with a dry erase marker.

No comments: