Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Welcome Spring!

I say that very tongue-in-cheek because we are under a severe winter storm warning right now. While most others are complaining that more snow is coming on top of what has been desperately trying to melt, I'm sitting in the cozy living room of my friend's house, enjoying delectable conversation, coffee cake, and books such as The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery. Life can't get much sweeter.

It's so easy to let our expectations get in the way of our moods. If anyone has reason to complain about yet another snow storm, it would definitely be the two of us. We both just received our orders of seeds for our spring garden planting. But, while we sit and watch the snow pelt the window outside, we dream of the beautiful weather to come. And come it will. No doubt about it. We just have to wait.

I'm looking out the window through the trees to where my house will someday be located and dreaming of chickens, tall corn stalks, and dirty boots. Yes, spring will most assuredly come. With the budding trees will come the birds and the salamanders. The mice will start to scurry again, and the cats will have fat bellies from the game they so carefully stalk.

I'm watching my dirty, old, yellow lab lick his muddy paws and cry out in pain from his aching joints. He has spent the last 12 hours enjoying these acres of land with his girlfriend, Summer. I'm thinking the old dog will have to learn to pace himself next to his young friend. But, it'll be a sweet thing to watch them splash in the water hole behind the house.

I'm listening to our children stomp up and down the stairs, and I keep wondering what it will be like to have them all working to build their treehouse between our houses. We've been carefully planning our projects and watching our budget to make room for them all. Step by step, I know things will take shape.

As the snow accumulates outside the window, I think about the pergola I want built above my deck. Those hot summer days that are sure to appear will be even more satisfying as we sweat our way to an amazing harvest of vegetables and fruits.

Yes, spring is on its way, friends. And it will be beautiful.

No comments: