Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Wellness Wednesday: Kombucha



I know, I know, I'm behind the times on this one. Kombucha has been around for a very long time. Here is the Wikipedia info on what it is, for what it's worth. In a nutshell, it is a fermented tea that has huge benefits, particularly for the digestive system.

It's been popularized by our culture, much the same way that pomegranates, acai berries, chia seeds, and Greek yogurt have been. It's definitely interesting to see what sorts of foreign foods suddenly make their way into pop culture and become selling points for products. But, let's move on from my critical nature...

After talking with my local health food store worker, I decided to give kombucha a try. I have my first batch of brew in the works, and today is the day when I get to sample to see if I like where it's at or want to let it brew longer. Let me share with you, it looks disgusting.

Basically, kombucha "brews" for a week or so. In the tea, you put what is called a SCOBY, which stands for Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast. This SCOBY looks like a giant disc of animal fat. Not pleasant. But, somehow, this growing disc has some benefit to our system. Just like eating yogurt or taking a probiotic, this fermented tea helps the flora of the gut.

Based on some reading I have done, there is a large population of folks in our country that have leaky gut problems and issues with the digestive system. This plays a key role in our health. Everything from skin and hair to the emotional health of a person can be affected by digestive problems.

Lots of things affect our digestive health. Use of medications, food allergies, stress, overeating, and too much sugar or other foods can greatly contribute to digestive problems. Kombucha is just one way of getting your digestive system working for you instead of against you. For those who struggle with candida problems, here is an article (and there are many more) to help you decide if it's for you.

Before we get too carried away with the health benefits of this particular fad, let's take a look at what it is and is not. It is not a cure-all. It is not the most healthy thing on the planet to drink. It is not completely sugar or caffeine free. It is, however, healthy for you and contains a number of helpful properties. Here is a great article, which challenges the truths and myths of kombucha and explains things much better than I can, given my limited research into the matter. It is a blog, not a medical journal, so be sure to check the links at the end to verify her information and do your own research as well.

And just because I love him, here's an article from Dr. Mercola about gut health and ways to combat and heal digestive problems.

I'll keep you informed on how my own batch turns out. Right now, it looks questionable. Hopefully it turns out tasting fantastic. (I plan to try a Dr. Pepper flavor recipe.)

If you brew or drink kombucha or just have something to say about it, please leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you! Here's to your health!

2 comments:

Karen said...

I would love to get the Dr. Pepper recipe! I'm working to get all sodas from my boys. This is the one thing my oldest wants...dr pepper!

Erin said...

Prunes and vanilla! I put about 4 prunes and 1/4 tsp vanilla in a pint jar of kombucha, but you can play with the amounts to make it to your liking.